caotaoxjtu

F1 from 2012-2016, then switch from OPT to H1B in 2017. What's my status and can I use turbotax

I arrived in USA as F1 student in Aug 2012. Then I graduated in Dec 2016. In Jan 2017, I started as OPT. Then in Oct 2017, I switched to H1B visa. Am I resident alien or non resident alien? Should I use turbotax or sprintax? I tried with turbotax, but it doesn't ask my visa information. Thank you.

LinaJ2018

As a F-1 visa holder, you are exempt from counting days being present in the US for five years from the first year you entered the US ( 2012-2016).  Starting from January 1, 2017, you were present in the US for more than 183 days, ( under both OT and H-1), therefore, you are considered as a US resident for tax purposes.  

You can use TurboTax to file a Form 1040.  TurboTax is designed for all users who are US citizens and residents for tax purposes, that's why no visa information will be asked in the program. 

LinaJ2018