Solved: F-1 student from Aug,2014 to Dec,2019. When should...

F-1 student from Aug,2014 to Dec,2019. When should I start paying FICA?

Hello! 

I came to U.S as F-1 student in Aug,2014 and had this status until Dec,2019 when I got my green card. I married my US citizen wife in Jan, 2019 so we are going to fill jointly as residents. My question is when should I start paying FICA tax. Is it Jan,2019 or Aug,2019 (5 years from Aug,2014 - I know I was exempt). My employer started withholding FICA for me in Sep, 2019. If the amount is wrong, what can I do?

Thanks!

According to the section of IRS Publication 519 for Dual-Status Aliens:

"If you meet both the substantial presence test and the green card test, your residency starting date is the earlier of the first day during the year you are present in the United States under the substantial presence test or as a lawful permanent resident."

Use that as a guide for when your became subject to Social Security/Medicare taxes.

If your Social Security/Medicare wages were not reported correctly, consult your employer about obtaining a corrected W-2 for the year. Use that corrected W-2 and your original W-2 for TurboTax entry.

Please read this IRS link regarding employer and employee responsibilities regarding FICA reporting.  

Thanks! 

I talked with my employer and the director of accounting told me we are good. So I do not think they will take any action. Will I have any trouble?