turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Excess Roth IRA contribution (work abroad)

Hello! Tax novice and would greatly appreciate any help. I began contributing to my Roth IRA account last year, and my turbo tax account is showing an "excess contribution" penalty because it is showing my earned income as $0. I live and work entirely abroad, and have filed my income under Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion. However, it doesn't seem to be calculated into the overall earnings (since it is still showing my earnings as $0). What to do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Income excluded by the foreign earned income exclusion does not qualify as compensation for an IRA contribution. If your earned income is $0 because of the FEIE then you are not eligible to contribute to a Roth IRA.

Tax Champ @macuser_22 says: ‘The IRS is clear - to be used for an IRA contribution it must be “taxable” compensation. Excluded income is not taxable.’

Check out the complete discussion of this issue at Foreign income deduction and IRA contribution in TT.

@SundayInSalem wrote:

Income excluded by the foreign earned income exclusion does not qualify as compensation for an IRA contribution. If your earned income is $0 because of the FEIE then you are not eligible to contribute to a Roth IRA.

Tax Champ @macuser_22 says: ‘The IRS is clear - to be used for an IRA contribution it must be “taxable” compensation. Excluded income is not taxable.’

Check out the complete discussion of this issue at Foreign income deduction and IRA contribution in TT.

IRS Pub 590A is clear - excluded income cannot be used to fund an IRA.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies