turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Marty-H

Error in Final Year of SL Depreciation calculation?

I am using Turbotax 2018 Deluxe.  I have a problem with the final year of SL annual depreciation.  The Date in Service is 4/1/1992. The Depreciable Basis of the asset is $35,491.  The method is SL with a 26.5 year life.  The prior depreciation into 2018 is $34,147. The software is listing Current Depreciation for 2018 as $51.  Since TurboTax, in prior years, has been rounding off Current Depreciation to $1339, should not Current Depreciation for 2018 be $1012, the remainder?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Error in Final Year of SL Depreciation calculation?

The depreciation should be over 27.5 years  and what I get ( both by hand as also from TubroTax ) is as follows:

for 2018, Prior depreciation -- $33179, 

Current ---1290

2019           $1022

Since you are on windows version, you can go to forms mode  and check the Asset Life worksheet ---->

From the top ribbon click "view", from the drop down list select "forms";  new window opens with two panes --left lists all the forms/ worksheet being used, select  "Asset worksheet" ; then on the right pane go down the form  till about lower middle you will see "Asset life"  --quick zoom button ; click that and  you will see the whole asset life table i.e detailed depreciation allowable.

If you need more on this feel welcome to comment

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies