balamr10

Employer health coverage for dependents

Last year, I removed my dependents from the Employer Health Coverage for the last 3 monts (oct,nov,dec) as they went for a vacation to my home country (outside US). My employer gives an option to remove the coverage for the dependents if they are not staying in US for more than 60 days. My question is , Am I eligible for the health coverage penalty exemption for the last quarter of 2016 due to a vacation?
SeanE1

Employer health coverage for dependents

According to the ACA health Care mandate, a person that is uninsured for over 2 months are subject to the penalty unless they were insured for at least one day on the third month.  In other words, if you take a three month period that you were uninsured and can prove that you started insurance on the last day of that third month, you will not be subject to the penalty.  I have included a LINK below where you may read more about this 3 month period: 

http://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-coverage-gap-exemption/