turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: eBay sales considered a business?

In 2018 I mostly sold used bike parts on eBay that I had which totaled around $3000 for the year. I'm not sure if I should consider this a hobby or business when I file my taxes. Most of the bike parts I bought I didn't have the intention to sell them when I bought them but have not used them in a while so I figured I would get some extra cash. I have not gotten any tax forms from eBay or Paypal so would it be best to file this as a hobby or a business with the IRS?

Thank you in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KarenL
Employee Tax Expert

Tax Year Prior to 2020: eBay sales considered a business?

It depends, please see the list below and apply them to your situation.  Essentially, if you intend to continue this to earn extra money (profit motive), the IRS will likely consider it a business.  If you are doing it solely to clear out clutter, it would be a hobby.  This IRS Article has some tips about Hobby or Business?

Generally, an activity qualifies as a business if it is carried on with the reasonable expectation of earning a profit.  In order to make this determination, taxpayers should consider the following factors:

• Does the time and effort put into the activity indicate an intention to make a profit?
  • Does the taxpayer depend on income from the activity?
  • If there are losses, are they due to circumstances beyond the taxpayer’s control or did they occur in the start-up phase of the business?
  • Has the taxpayer changed methods of operation to improve profitability?
  • Does the taxpayer or his/her advisors have the knowledge needed to carry on the activity as a successful business?
  • Has the taxpayer made a profit in similar activities in the past?
  • Does the activity make a profit in some years?
  • Can the taxpayer expect to make a profit in the future from the appreciation of assets used in the activity?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies