turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lwade1

Schedule B , 1099 Int Wants State ID for Box 8. I have a whole page or two of bonds from different states. What do I fill in?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Schedule B , 1099 Int Wants State ID for Box 8. I have a whole page or two of bonds from different states. What do I fill in?

Easiest procedure Go to the very end of the list and select "More than one state" and be done with it

But if the $$ that came from your home state's bonds is big (you have to calculate the exact $$ amount yourself)...I can tell you how to save some state taxes.

Example:  $1000 in box 8 of a 1099-INT.  and 2% came form your home state=$20.  Your state would tax that $20 at 5% or $1 of tax.    You could save yourself $1 by breaking out that $20 of interest from your own state's bonds.

I can tell you how to do it, but you'd need to indicate which state is your resident state, since  some state's have limitations on what can be done with Mutual bond funds tax-exempt $$

All you break out is your home state,  any US Territories, and all the rest is together as "More than one state"

Picture below for an NC resident

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Easiest procedure Go to the very end of the list and select "More than one state" and be done with it

But if the $$ that came from your home state's bonds is big (you have to calculate the exact $$ amount yourself)...I can tell you how to save some state taxes.

Example:  $1000 in box 8 of a 1099-INT.  and 2% came form your home state=$20.  Your state would tax that $20 at 5% or $1 of tax.    You could save yourself $1 by breaking out that $20 of interest from your own state's bonds.

I can tell you how to do it, but you'd need to indicate which state is your resident state, since  some state's have limitations on what can be done with Mutual bond funds tax-exempt $$

All you break out is your home state,  any US Territories, and all the rest is together as "More than one state"

Picture below for an NC resident

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies