E-Filing state return as Married Filing Separately but with federal e filed as Married filed jointly

This page (https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900582-can-i-e-file-my-state-return-before-my-federal) says that:

If you e-filed your federal return as Married Filing Jointly, but want to file your state returns as Married Filing Separately, only one state return can be e-filed. The other will have to be paper-filed.

However, my experience with Turbo tax software says otherwise.  I only have one state return to file i.e. New York, and the software is not letting me e file my new york return (which is required by state law)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Cindy0H

What is your question?

My question is whether the statement above is true or not. I want to file my new york return electronically, but turbo tax software is not allowing me to do so.

More details: I have already filed my federal tax along with my wife, but we live in separate states, so we want to file our state taxes separately.

According to the paragraph above, it looks like I can file new york state tax electronically, but the software doesn't allow it. Moreover, New York law required state tax to be filed electronically if it has been prepared via a software.

No. Not unless your state return is in the same return as the joint federal return.  Is it?  

Regarding NY,  if you didn't efile Federal from the same online account or from the same .tax2018 tax file the the rule about Efiling NY doesn't apply.  

This is the article you need to use
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901214-how-do-i-prepare-a-joint-federal-return-and-separate-state...>

@VolvoGirl Thanks for the information!

Yes, it is not from the same same federal return. I will mail my new york return then.

Glad you worked it out.