turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

monkey4u-

I am 15 and a full time student. I received a 1099 misc. Do I need to file taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I am 15 and a full time student. I received a 1099 misc. Do I need to file taxes?

There is no age exemption.  You must report and pay tax if you have self-employment income more than $400, or other income more than $12,000.  What did you do to get this money, and which box of the 1099-MISC is it reported in?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If the amount reported in box 7 of your form 1099-MISC is more than $400, you have to file a tax return. Amounts reported in box 7 are self-employment income and are subject to self-employment tax, regardless of your age.

If you are a dependent of your parents, you need to indicate on your tax return that you can be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Except that sometimes the payer uses box 7 in error, and there is an exception for 4-H/FFA income that sometimes comes up.  You need to tell us what you actually did to get the money.

Due to your age, you must file by mail.

You likely also want to use the Tax Freedom edition co-sponsored by the IRS, not the regular "free" version, because if you need more complicated forms, the Freedom edition will include them for free and not upsell you to a pricier version.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/</a>

But we still need to know the source of the money.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies