1. Click My account
2. Select Tools
3. Under the Other helpful link select save your 2016 tax return to your computer.
4. Select Save As and browse to where you want to save the file, such as your Desktop.
5. Save this as something you can recognize before you click Save
Next Open your file in your Desktop Program:
1. Sign out of TurboTax Online.
2. Install your 2016 TurboTax software.
o If you have not purchased TurboTax Desktop software, click here to select the product you need to complete your return.
o Important: If your return includes a state, make sure you also install the corresponding state program(s), otherwise you'll get Error 539.
3. Once installed, choose File > Open Tax Return in the software program.
4. Browse to where you saved your .tax2016 file and click Open.
5. If you get an error, delete your tax data file and repeat these steps from the beginning.
6. (Optional) Once you've confirmed that your online return opens properly in the software, you can clear your online return.