Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim anybody in my household that is over 18 years of age that I am currently supporting

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

30 Replies

Can I claim anybody in my household that is over 18 years of age that I am currently supporting

Are they full time students under the age of 24? Someone else?

If they are not related to you then you can claim someone if the lived with you the whole year and they had less than $4,050 total income for the year.  If it is your child there are different rules.

"If they are not related to you then you can claim someone if the lived with you the whole year and they had less than $4,050 total income for the year." AND you provided more than 50% of their support for the year.
So please tell us who these folks are.

OK because I have a nephew as well that I support provide him food hes 2 years old his mother gets food stamps every month but I'm not on their case but we live in the same household can I claim him ?

You said "over 18 years of age"
Does his mother live there as well? Does she have any income?

and whose house is it?

Yes his mother does live here as well and it's my father in laws house he's the homeowner and his mother does not have any income at all

It's my girlfriends dads house his names John Harrington he's the home owner

That complicates things, since John is providing housing, utilities, etc for everyone who lives there.

Please clarify. John is not your Father in Law, since you are not married to your Girlfriend.  Is the 2 year old HER nephew?  If so, he is not related to you, and the rules are different. Someone there may be able to claim both him and his mother, but it is not clear who that is. Read the answer below carefully.

tristanparkman:  I'm confused.  How many different people are living there?  Is there one child or more?  Is it your GF who is getting food stamps? Is John living there?  Are you paying him any rent?

Yes I do pay John rent he is the homeowner and their is only 1 child living here and no I get food stamps but I only get 15$ in food stamps but the child's mother also gets food stamps to provide for her child this is all true and correct

Did you all live there all of 2017?

Does your GF have any income?  If so, is it $4050 or more?  Is the child actually relted to you?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies