turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

prashant

How can I change shareholder %age? I am using TurboTax 2017 business and it changed automatically from last year to this year. Is there a manual override?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieCo

How can I change shareholder %age? I am using TurboTax 2017 business and it changed automatically from last year to this year. Is there a manual override?

A workaround to be able to change the shareholder percent is if you indicate in the About Your Business info section of TurboTax (under the Business Info tab at top of the screen) that YES there was a change in ownership.  This will allow you to then go through the Shareholder Information screens and TurboTax will prompt you to enter a date of the change (use the 1st day of the tax year or something like that), as well as to enter what the shareholder split is before and after the change.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JulieCo

A workaround to be able to change the shareholder percent is if you indicate in the About Your Business info section of TurboTax (under the Business Info tab at top of the screen) that YES there was a change in ownership.  This will allow you to then go through the Shareholder Information screens and TurboTax will prompt you to enter a date of the change (use the 1st day of the tax year or something like that), as well as to enter what the shareholder split is before and after the change.  

I had the same problem and I think this is a GLITCH in the program.  In the Error section, it said that I had to enter the # of shares for each shareholder which I haven't had to do before.  I entered the # of shares that corresponds to the % which is 68 +8+8+8+8 = 100. However, it didn't calculate the % this way.  TT came up with 8.5 instead of 8 and less than 68%. The ONLY way to fix it is to take the above steps. I used 1-1-17 for the date. I called TT Help and the guy did try to help me but said that there is no support for TT Business.  After we hung up he sent me the link to this but I had already figured it out myself.
lwek74

Does this still work for 2018?  When I changed the shareholder information, all I could do was put in the new owner information and a date.  I didn't get a shareholder split option.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies