turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does the standard deduction apply to your calculated annual income for short term capital gains on stocks?

Suppose my annual income is at $56,000 for 2020 and I am filing as a single tax filer, which would entitle me to a $12,400 standard deduction. Can that $12,400 be subtracted from my $56,000 income to bring down my owed taxes in short term capital gains (as my annual income would only be $43,600) or does the standard deduction not apply when calculating capital gains?

Example: If I traded a stock  with an initial value of $100 and sold it for a value of $1,000. I have a short-term capital gain of $900. Would my capital gains tax be $248 (as illustrated below) if the standard deduction didn't apply or $158 if the standard deduction applies.

Tax TypeMarginal Tax RateEffective Tax RateTax Amount
Federal22.00%22.00%$198 or $108
NJ State5.53%5.53%$50 or $50
Local0.00%0.00%$0
Total Capital Gains Taxes $248 or $158

Please let me know if I my calculations are accurate for this example. Thank You!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Does the standard deduction apply to your calculated annual income for short term capital gains on stocks?

Capital gains are added to your AGI to determine your total income.     Then your standard deduction is subtracted form the AGI, what is left is your taxable income.   The actual tax on capital gains is calculated on the "Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Worksheet".

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

If you are not forms-challenged, review the "Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Worksheet". to see how it works.

Otherwise, don't even try to think about it.

Turbotax does the calculation - that's what you're paying for.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies