Solved: Does the new SD of 24K for filing jointly, mean I shouldn't go through the work of itemizing if that amount comes to less than 24K?

Does the new SD of 24K for filing jointly, mean I shouldn't go through the work of itemizing if that amount comes to less than 24K?

choice:   itemized (and that amount is 22K), or forego and use the standard deduction (married filing jointly) of 24K?

Yes,  if you are confident that your itemized deductions are less than the standard deduction of $24,400 for a married couple filing jointly then you do not have to go through the work of itemizing.

You should always use the deduction that is the largest either the standard deduction or the itemized deduction.

[Edited 03/09/2020 | 3:37 pm PDT]

[Edited 03/09/2020 | 3:37 pm PDT]