keepe

Does receiving a 1099-MISC mean I was self employed and should file it under that? I was being paid the money by my work.

TomD8

If the income was reported in Box 7 of your 1099-MISC (Non-employee compensation), and was for work or services you performed, it is considered self-employment income.  It should be reported as business income on your tax return.  When you are self-employed the IRS regards you as a business.  The good news is that you can deduct your work expenses against that income.

You may find this TurboTax FAQ helpful:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2893392-where-do-i-enter-a-1099-misc

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.