Does my mother need to sign forms 2848 and 8453? As durable POA I will be signing and e-filing her returns as she is age 94 suffering from dementia and is 600 miles away

Alumni bwa
Alumni

If Mom is suffering from dementia her signature would be invalid.  Just fill out Form 2848 and attach your Durable POA (with Mom's signature) to it.

bwa--thank you. since I was planning on e-filing her returns is there a way to send a "scanned" POA attachement with the return? Also, is a 2848 needed for her Ohio State return? From your answer, it appears that a 8453 form is NOT necessary. Correct?
Thanks.
Alumni bwa
Alumni

Unfortunately, Turbotax has no provision to include a scanned attachment of any sort that isn't a standard or required form.

You may have misunderstood my post - what I meant to say was "Just fill out Form 2848 and attach your Durable POA (with Mom's signature) to it", then send it in with Form 8453.

Most states accept IRS' POAs.  However, I'm not familiar enough with Ohio's procedures to tell you whether they do or not.

bwa----FYI----Ohio has it's own form for POA and does not recognize the IRS's form. The Ohio form is TBOR-1. Hope this helps if you ever get asked.