Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does my dependent son need to do a tax return at all if he only received about $2,500-$3,000 income for 2016?

My son, living at home and claimed as a dependent by me, only worked in Nov.-Dec. of 2016, earning about $2,500-$3,000 total income for the year. He received no other income, unemployment, etc. in 2016. His financial aid is being claimed on my tax return and did not exceed what his out of pocket cost for school was. Does he have to do a tax return at all for that amount of income since he received a W-2?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

Does my dependent son need to do a tax return at all if he only received about $2,500-$3,000 income for 2016?

The filing threshold for a dependent's W-2 income is $6300 (2016).  So he is not required to file a return.

(If he wanted whatever refund he might be due of withheld tax, he would have to file a return to get it.  But it's not required.)

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

The filing threshold for a dependent's W-2 income is $6300 (2016).  So he is not required to file a return.

(If he wanted whatever refund he might be due of withheld tax, he would have to file a return to get it.  But it's not required.)

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thank you. I'm sure this has been answered on here multiple times, I just didn't currently have much time to browse through everything.
If he does want whatever refund he may get and does file a return, I can still claim him as a dependent on my return, as long as he answers "yes" to the 'someone else can claim him as a dependent' question on his?
TomD8
Level 15

Yes, you can.  The fact that he files a return does not preclude you from claiming him as a dependent.

Great - thank you for responding!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies