turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does marking "Someone can claim me as a dependent" mean that they *DID* claim me or just that they could?

I am filing jointly with my spouse, and marked that someone can claim me as dependent, but they didn't. Should I go back and change that before I turn it in?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does marking "Someone can claim me as a dependent" mean that they *DID* claim me or just that they could?

Yes, please change your selection before you will submit it. If you file Married Filing Jointly you cannot be anyone's dependent for tax purposes. And if you received stimulus payment as a dependent in 2020 or you didn't receive it at all, don't forget to claim your Recovery Rebate credit to adjust an amount of the stimulus payment. You're eligible for the full credit if you file your 2020 tax return as independent taxpayer. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Yes, please change your selection before you will submit it. If you file Married Filing Jointly you cannot be anyone's dependent for tax purposes. And if you received stimulus payment as a dependent in 2020 or you didn't receive it at all, don't forget to claim your Recovery Rebate credit to adjust an amount of the stimulus payment. You're eligible for the full credit if you file your 2020 tax return as independent taxpayer. 

Thank you! I changed it. Do I need to apply for stimulus while filing my taxes? Or is it a separate thing?

It is not a separate thing.

Your 2020 tax return controls.

TurboTax should be asking you about this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies