turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kayrmc

Does it seem right that last year I got back $1,560.00 and this year I'm only getting back $97.00?

This is for Federal taxes only.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PhyllisG

Does it seem right that last year I got back $1,560.00 and this year I'm only getting back $97.00?

There are several reasons that your refund is reduced. It was anticipated that individuals may fall within a certain realm of the Tax Reform laws that would result in a reduction of their tax refunds. The possibilities are:

1. Your paycheck's income tax withholding amount was less due to Tax Reform and the amount does not align with the yearly tax tables.

2. Your income tax rate has increased (e.g. rather than falling into the 22% percentile, you now are in the 24% percentile)

3. Elimination of dependent and personal exemptions

4. Elimination of some itemized deductions

5. $10,000 cap on the deduction for state income taxes, sales, and local taxes, and property taxes combined

Other factors could be that you are no longer eligible for certain credits and deductions because you have exceeded the income threshold for that particular item.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PhyllisG

There are several reasons that your refund is reduced. It was anticipated that individuals may fall within a certain realm of the Tax Reform laws that would result in a reduction of their tax refunds. The possibilities are:

1. Your paycheck's income tax withholding amount was less due to Tax Reform and the amount does not align with the yearly tax tables.

2. Your income tax rate has increased (e.g. rather than falling into the 22% percentile, you now are in the 24% percentile)

3. Elimination of dependent and personal exemptions

4. Elimination of some itemized deductions

5. $10,000 cap on the deduction for state income taxes, sales, and local taxes, and property taxes combined

Other factors could be that you are no longer eligible for certain credits and deductions because you have exceeded the income threshold for that particular item.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies