turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does federal w2 info carryover to state

After entering w2 info for federal. Does all info carryover for state? If yes, then how do i correct a wrong amount on my spouses state wages. Trying to figure out if this was a turbo tax error or an error on my part. This happened in turbo tax for 2014 tax year. Received an audit letter and need to know how to proceed. Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Information flows from your federal return to the state return when you prepare your federal an state returns using TurboTax.  So if you make a data entry error on the federal return it will flow to the state return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Information flows from your federal return to the state return when you prepare your federal an state returns using TurboTax.  So if you make a data entry error on the federal return it will flow to the state return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If federal w2 info is correct. Should this be something TurboTax should have seen. We are talking about $16k difference between state and federal.

Please explain.

If you purchased Audit Defense:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2924451-i-bought-max-or-audit-defense-and-now-i-m-being-audited">h...>

Did you go back and enter it on the federal return?  After you update the federal you had to click on state again and go though state for it to update.  The state W2 info comes from your W2 box 16.  Double check that entry.  It is possible for the state wages in box 16 to be different than the federal wages in box 1.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies