turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

daver123

Does a 10,000 relocation assistance/incentive for a deed in lieu. I will receive a 1099 misc form from them. Is this fully or even partially non-reportable?

The deed in lieu was concluded in 2015 for which I reported to the IRS last year. The "incentive" of 10,000 was received in January of 2016. If I receive a 1099 misc from them how do I, or do I need to report it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

Does a 10,000 relocation assistance/incentive for a deed in lieu. I will receive a 1099 misc form from them. Is this fully or even partially non-reportable?

If you receive a Form 1099-MISC for the relocation assistance/incentive payment, you must report it on your tax return - exactly as it is filled out by the issuer. 

Relocation assistance is taxable. It won't be self-employment income, but needs to be entered in the Income from Form 1099-MISC interview. The income is not compensation for service, not related to your main job and not from an intent to profit.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
daver123

doesn't "HARP" figure into this to make it non-taxable?
ToddL

I'll check that tomorrow, however, I'm 99% certain it doesn't. I did a HARP and it isn't related to the relocation incentive in lieu of.
ToddL

There aren't any provisions in HARP for relocation assistance. It on comes into play when you want to refinance at a lower rate and nee certain criteria.  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.harp.gov/About">https://www.harp.gov/About</a>
daver123

sorry, I mean HAFA Home Affordable Foreclosure Alternatives Program (HAFA)  

HAFA® provides homeowners the opportunity to exit their homes and be relieved of their remaining mortgage debt through a short sale or a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure (DIL). It also provides homeowners with $10,000 in relocation assistance.

Application Deadline: December 30, 2016
ToddL

If you receive a Form 1099-MISC for the relocation assistance/incentive payment, you must report it on your tax return - exactly as it is filled out by the issuer. 

Relocation assistance is taxable. It won't be self-employment income, but needs to be entered in the Income from Form 1099-MISC interview. The income is not compensation for service, not related to your main job and not from an intent to profit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies