xlinzy88x

Do I still need to file an injured spouse after my 2 years as a qualyfying widower?

My husband owed back unemployment and passed away in 2016.  This is the first year I can qualify as a widower as well as the next year.  My question is what happens after that when I must switch back to either single or head of household?  Will I need to start filing the injured spouse form again to avoid having to pay something he incurred way before ever meeting me?

MinhT

If you file as a qualified widow or subsequently as Single or Head of Household, the IRS will not garnish your return to pay for your deceased husband's debt. You do not need to file the form 8379- Injured spouse.

This form is filed only if you file jointly with your spouse.

MinhT