Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!

Kevin14

Do I really owe money? My total income was $2,036. My Federal Deductions and Exemptions were $10,594, and my Fed Credits are $143. My income is less than my deductions.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AmyT

If you are self-employed (file a schedule C) and show a profit, it is possible that you owe self-employment taxes even if you have no "taxable income".

The self-employment tax is separate from federal income taxes.  It is, in essence, you paying both portions of social security and medicare income on any profits you have from your small business.  Since this tax is calculated separately from federal income taxes and does not take into account deductions normally considered for income taxes (such as standard/itemized deductions and exemptions), it is possible to have a negative income but still owe self-employment taxes.