garrettdarling11

Do I pay for TurbTax if I have to file a form 83b?

I received RSU's from my company and filed the amount I paid for them under Miscellaneous Income, Other Reportable Income. The FAQ says I need to print out and file my taxes by mail. Should I even pay for TurboTax then?

MargaretL

Well... you would have to pay for the return preparation, but not for the 83(b) form... You do not have to print and mail your tax return.  Per IRS, taxpayers who file section 83(b) election are no longer required to paper file their tax return. They can e-file their returns. The IRS no longer needs a copy of the 83(b) election to be included with the tax return. 

PS. Please comment and send a link of the FAQ you are referring to... If in fact it lists incorrect instructions, TurboTax will correct it...

MargaretL

garrettdarling11

Here is the FAQ I was referencing:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2600147-how-do-i-include-an-83b">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions...>

It is the first result when searching "form 83b".

So I already reported the 83b to the IRS when I first received my RSU's. Does the amount I paid for them still get reported on my return? Specifically in TurboTax (again, going off of the info from that FAQ answer):
Miscellaneous Income --> Other Reportable Income
jimhensel20

Can you provide a link to the IRS website where this is documented?