turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kjaassoc

Do I need to report the exercise of a vested non qualified stock option as a consultant where the exercise price is the same as the FMV (as stated by the company)?

It seems that if there was any differential between the exercise price and the FMV the company should have reported income in box 3 of my 1099. However, since the company stated at the time of exercise the FMV was the same as the exercise price, there was no additional income reported to me.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I need to report the exercise of a vested non qualified stock option as a consultant where the exercise price is the same as the FMV (as stated by the company)?

If the real FMV of the company is the same as the exercise price - you paid that exercise price, right? - then you have no compensation, no revenue to report.  You simply bought a stock.

Of course if the IRS ever asks you've got to be able to back up that position and I don't know that "the company stated" you paid the FMV of the stock would stand up without some appraisal or other attempt to support that notion.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If the real FMV of the company is the same as the exercise price - you paid that exercise price, right? - then you have no compensation, no revenue to report.  You simply bought a stock.

Of course if the IRS ever asks you've got to be able to back up that position and I don't know that "the company stated" you paid the FMV of the stock would stand up without some appraisal or other attempt to support that notion.

Tom Young

kjaassoc

Thank you for the quick response. Yes I paid the exercise price. The company also sold common stock for the same price/share as the exercise price around the time of exercise so that seems to validate the FMV.
darewreckk
Returning Member

What if the 409A expired and no new grants or stocks have been awarded.  Would the FMV still hold true? And if not, would you be penalized?
darewreckk
Returning Member

What if the 409A expired and no new grants or stocks have been granted.  In the case of a private company that isn't public.  Would the FMV still hold true? And if not, would you be penalized?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies