Do I need to report my child's income (who is19-24 y/o full time student and I file her as my dependent on my Tax returns) in the section of 1095A (healthmarket) as MAGI

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

IsabellaG

Yes, you must include the Modified Adjusted Gross Income for any member of your household that you claim as a dependent  who files a return for themselves.

dandubois

Where? The line for entering a child's MAGI is no longer in the spot it was in last year's software (?)

JosephF8

We are aware of this situation. Please keep checking back for updates.

JosephF8

This issue has been resolved. You will find an entry box in the interview after telling it. You have a dependent who needs to file a separate return.

Whether a dependent's MAGI gets reported depends on the dependent's income. The IRS instructions and worksheet for Form 8962 Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 4.31.30 PM.pngexplicitly say that a dependent's MAGI is included in the household MAGI if the dependent is REQUIRED to file a tax return (not just filing to claim refund of withholding). If income is below the required filing threshold, there is no requirement to include it in this section. Turbotax simply does not handle this correctly which can cause folks to overpay their taxes.