Solved: Do I need to File Taxes this year?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to File Taxes this year?

I am 32 years old and not a dependent or disabled. I made less than 6 thousand dollars last year but around 5 thousand dollars were not taxed by the federal government. I received a 1099 form for around 4 thousand and a w-2 for around 1000 do I still need to file taxes this year? 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You did not include what kind of 1099 form you received. Generally, you need to file if you received form 1099-MISC with $400 or more of self-employment income.  

Regardless of your gross income, you are generally required to file an income tax return if any of the following are true:

• You had net self-employment income of $400 or more
  • You had unemployment income
  • You owe Alternative Minimum Tax
  • You owe household employment taxes
  • You owe additional taxes on a retirement plan (an individual retirement arrangement (IRA) or other tax-favored account) or health savings account
  • You must repay the 2008 Homebuyer Credit (or any other recapture taxes)
  • You owe Social Security and Medicare taxes on unreported tip income
  • You earned $108.28 or more from a tax-exempt church or church-controlled organization
  • You received distributions from an MSA or Health Savings Account
  • You received an advance payment on the Premium Tax Credit.

Even if you're not required to file a 2016 return, there are reasons you may want to file a tax return. See Do I Need to File a Tax Return?-Federal Filing Requirements - Efile.com

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You did not include what kind of 1099 form you received. Generally, you need to file if you received form 1099-MISC with $400 or more of self-employment income.  

Regardless of your gross income, you are generally required to file an income tax return if any of the following are true:

• You had net self-employment income of $400 or more
  • You had unemployment income
  • You owe Alternative Minimum Tax
  • You owe household employment taxes
  • You owe additional taxes on a retirement plan (an individual retirement arrangement (IRA) or other tax-favored account) or health savings account
  • You must repay the 2008 Homebuyer Credit (or any other recapture taxes)
  • You owe Social Security and Medicare taxes on unreported tip income
  • You earned $108.28 or more from a tax-exempt church or church-controlled organization
  • You received distributions from an MSA or Health Savings Account
  • You received an advance payment on the Premium Tax Credit.

Even if you're not required to file a 2016 return, there are reasons you may want to file a tax return. See Do I Need to File a Tax Return?-Federal Filing Requirements - Efile.com

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings