Solved: Do I need to File Taxes this year?

Do I need to File Taxes this year?

I am 32 years old and not a dependent or disabled. I made less than 6 thousand dollars last year but around 5 thousand dollars were not taxed by the federal government. I received a 1099 form for around 4 thousand and a w-2 for around 1000 do I still need to file taxes this year? 

Do I need to File Taxes this year?

You did not include what kind of 1099 form you received. Generally, you need to file if you received form 1099-MISC with $400 or more of self-employment income.  

Regardless of your gross income, you are generally required to file an income tax return if any of the following are true:

• You had net self-employment income of $400 or more
  • You had unemployment income
  • You owe Alternative Minimum Tax
  • You owe household employment taxes
  • You owe additional taxes on a retirement plan (an individual retirement arrangement (IRA) or other tax-favored account) or health savings account
  • You must repay the 2008 Homebuyer Credit (or any other recapture taxes)
  • You owe Social Security and Medicare taxes on unreported tip income
  • You earned $108.28 or more from a tax-exempt church or church-controlled organization
  • You received distributions from an MSA or Health Savings Account
  • You received an advance payment on the Premium Tax Credit.

Even if you're not required to file a 2016 return, there are reasons you may want to file a tax return. See Do I Need to File a Tax Return?-Federal Filing Requirements - Efile.com

Do I need to File Taxes this year?

• You had unemployment income
  • You owe Alternative Minimum Tax
  • You owe household employment taxes