turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file injured spouse form, if spouse that owes child support arrears, had not income?

my husband owes back child support.  TT wants a married-filing joint status-because I am not liable for his support debt, and he had no income for 2017, do I still need a injured spouse form?

can you help with this question?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Do I need to file injured spouse form, if spouse that owes child support arrears, had not income?

Yes. That's the exact situation where you DO want to file injured spouse. The form will identify that none of the refund belongs to him

no that did not answer my question.... if my spouse did not have any income reported on a joint return, how can irs take my refund ?
Hal_Al
Level 15

They can take your refund because your refund is not your refund; it belongs to both spouses. The joint tax return is not your return; it's the couple's return. The purpose of the injured spouse form is to allocate (tell the IRS) how much of the refund belongs to you (all of it) and how much belongs to your spouse (none of it because he has no income).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies