Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aka_123

DO I need to file FBAR and FATCA in 2019, after I have left USA permanently in July 2018 as my F1 visa expired?I moved my funds >$10,000 to my native country in Nov 2018.

My funds (currency in US dollars) in native country will earn accrued interest in 2020.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

DO I need to file FBAR and FATCA in 2019, after I have left USA permanently in July 2018 as my F1 visa expired?I moved my funds >$10,000 to my native country in Nov 2018.

If you surrendered your visa  during 2018, then the FBAR and FATCA does not apply to you  unless you had become a resident alien for tax purposes during at least 2018.  When did you enter  first under F-1? Did you convert your F-1 to H-1 or what ? You are a citizen/resident of which country ( for treaty reasons )?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

If you surrendered your visa  during 2018, then the FBAR and FATCA does not apply to you  unless you had become a resident alien for tax purposes during at least 2018.  When did you enter  first under F-1? Did you convert your F-1 to H-1 or what ? You are a citizen/resident of which country ( for treaty reasons )?

aka_123

I entered US as F1 in 2010. My F1 expired in 2018 and hence I moved back. No I did not convert to any other type of visa. I had income for initial part of 2018 for which I will file the W2. Citizen of India. Sorry for the late reply just saw this message.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies