joeeissner

Do I need to file? Daughter, Full time College.Put 0 and exempt on her tax form for employment. Did turbo tax, It says she owes nothing and has no return. $6211 income.

My Daughter is a full time college student and I filed with her as my dependent. She did have her own summer job and made $6211. When she filled her employment paper work she filed 0 and exempt. Now she had no taxes taken off federal or state, She has no return and owes nothing. Does she need to file? and avoid e-mail file charge. Thanks for any help given.

Carl

There's only three reasons your daughter would need to file.

- If her taxable income (including the taxable portion of any scholarships, grants, 529 funds) exceeds $6300 she is required to file.
- If she has self-employment income (such as reported in box 3 or 7 on a 1099-MISC) in excess of $400, she is required to file.
- If she has less than $6300 of earned income and any taxes were withheld on that income, then she would file for the sole purpose of getting those withheld taxes refunded to her.

joeeissner

Thank You Carl