prakash0107

Do I need to file 1040 or 1040 NR. I changed my status from F1 to H1 in December 2017?

DS30

You will file a 1040NR for 2017 if you were still considered "exempt" from the substantial presence test under your F-1 visa and you switched to H1 in December 2017.

The exempt days under the F-1 visa class do not count towards the 183 day requirement to be considered a resident alien under the substantial presence test  so you will be considered a nonresident alien for US income tax purposes.

Form 1040NR is not supported by TurboTax. Here is a link to the IRS website for Form 1040NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return. In this situation, you will only report your US sourced income on your Form 1040NR.