noahmaney

Do I need to do TurboTax SELF EMPLOYED if I only made a small amount (2k) from rideshare compared to the 30k I made from my regular 40 hour week full tax deductions job?

My self-employed income is only a very small percentage of my overall income, do I still need to pay the huge additional extra fee for turbotax self employed?

Do you have any expenses for it?  You can enter 1099NEC. 1099Misc or cash self employment income into Online Deluxe and Premier but if you have any expenses you need to upgrade to the Self Employed Version. How to enter income from Self Employment
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/how-do-i-report-income-from-self-employment/00/...

noahmaney

I don't really have expenses for it, I mean whatever I spent in gas I guess?  I used to do uber/lyft a lot more in years past but because of the pandemic in 2020 I only did a little bit in January/February, total net amount that I made was only about 2k .. can I start with the deluxe or premier and then upgrade/pay the difference if I end up needing the self-employed version?

Maybe you can qualify for the Free File website which is totally free for federal and state and has more forms than the regular Turbo Tax Free Edition.

To qualify for the Tax Freedom website you just need to meet one of these 3 things
AGI $39,000 or less
Active duty military with AGI of $72,000 or less
OR qualify for EIC (earned income credit.)

In order to use the Turbo Tax Free File, you have to start it at a special website. If you use the Sign In button on the top right I hear it brings over your work.
https://freefile.intuit.com