Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!

aeceyhan

Do i need my own account

hello ? work at  usa as a j1 student and ? turned back to my country . ? want to get my tax refund but ? th?nk ? closed my own bank account before ? leave . do i need my own account or may ? use my brother acoount

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JohnR1

Do i need my own account

You don't need a U.S. bank account, or need to use your brother's account, to receive your IRS tax refund: the IRS can mail a refund check to the mailing address in your country.  Please note that the IRS does not make direct deposits into foreign bank accounts. In the File section of TurboTax, indicate that you want a refund check, not a direct deposit into your bank account.  

Please ensure that you have entered your foreign address in the Personal Info section of the program properly.  In the Mailing Address section, you should have used the option for "Foreign country", instead of the default "U.S. address".  The IRS will send the refund check to the foreign address which you have entered.  The check from the IRS will be drawn from the U.S. Treasury, so you will need to ensure that your bank will accept a check from the U.S. Treasury, denominated in U.S. Dollars.

JohnR1

Do i need my own account