jessijo88

Do I need a 1099-MISC if I didn't pay anyone?

My husband is a Massage Therapist, this was his first year and has his own business. It's just him, he didn't pay anyone. I'm using Turbo Tax Self-employed. I want to make sure I don't need a 1099-MISC that it keeps asking for. Do I just input his income from checks, square reader, etc. under additional income and that's it?

IsabellaG

No, he doesn't need to file a 1099-MISC if he didn't pay any individuals for services for his business. If he didn't receive a 1099-MISC for payment he received, you can enter his income as General Income just the way you described, by including all the income he received during the year.

IsabellaG

To enter cash income without a 1099Misc into the Online Self Employed version,   if you see a Business tab at the top, after Personal Info, follow the instructions to enter the cash as General Income.  If you do not see a Business tab, choose the second topic of Additional Income underneath the 1099-Misc income topic