• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abazba12

Do I have to report sale of primary home w/ capital gains over $250,000 if I can get under the $250,000 limit by deducting realtor commissions which put me under $250k?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Zbucklyo
Level 9

Do I have to report sale of primary home w/ capital gains over $250,000 if I can get under the $250,000 limit by deducting realtor commissions which put me under $250k?

You do not need to report the sale if your gain is less than the exclusion amount, and you qualify to exclude the gain, unless you receive a 1099-S.  If you receive a 1099-S, you must report the sale, regardless of your gain.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Zbucklyo
Level 9

You do not need to report the sale if your gain is less than the exclusion amount, and you qualify to exclude the gain, unless you receive a 1099-S.  If you receive a 1099-S, you must report the sale, regardless of your gain.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Your gain is measured, after expenses of sale, such as RE commission.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v