turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do i have to file form 8965 i dont have health coverage , letter fro irs says have to figure shared responsibility payment

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do i have to file form 8965 i dont have health coverage , letter fro irs says have to figure shared responsibility payment

Yes, if you don't have insurance you do need to complete that form ... and the program will do so automatically if you said you had no insurance in the Health Insurance Tab. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Form 8965 is used if you did not have health insurance AND you qualify for an exemption to the penalty.

However, the worksheets associated with Form 8965 are used to calculate the penalty ("shared responsibility payment"), but the actual form itself is not filed just to pay the penalty.

Yes, if you don't have insurance you do need to complete that form ... and the program will do so automatically if you said you had no insurance in the Health Insurance Tab. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies