turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

coschoi2
Returning Member

Do I have to file for unemployment even when I didn't withdraw from my retirement savings?

I didn't receive a 1099 form because my retirement savings plan from my former employer was through a private company. I haven't withdrawn anything from my retirement savings. I'm trying to figure out how much I should report as my unemployment benefit. Should I report the full amount that is on my W2 as 'contributed towards 401k' as my unemployment benefit, even when I haven't received any actual benefit? I didn't receive any other severance packages.

Any help would be much appreciated! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Do I have to file for unemployment even when I didn't withdraw from my retirement savings?

I don’t understand your question at all.  

1. You say you didn’t receive a 1099 because of the plan was a private company. That is irrelevant. If you have a “qualified” retirement plan, the plan must issue a 1099-R if you make a withdrawal.  It doesn’t matter if the plan is a pension managed by the employer or is a 401(k) or other account at a outside investment manager.

2. You also say you didn’t withdraw anything from your retirement savings. If you did not make a withdrawal from a qualified plan, the plan will not issue a 1099-R.

3. You mentioned a 401(k). 401(k) contributions are recorded on your W-2 and you do not enter them anywhere else in your tax return. A 401(k) is not an IRA and if you made 401(k) contributions, you did not make an IRA contribution and you should not list the contribution in the IRA section.

4. you mentioned unemployment compensation. Unemployment compensation is a benefit you receive from your state government after a lengthy application process. If you received unemployment compensation, the state government will issue a 1099-G. You may need to download it from the state website if they do not mail it to you. You should enter this in your tax return in the section for unemployment compensation exactly as you received it.

5. lastly you mention severance and said you didn’t receive any.

Your question so confused that I can’t make heads or tails of it. Can you please explain in more detail?

coschoi2
Returning Member

Thank you for your answer, and sorry for the confusion.

Let me clarify my question: I would like to know if I have to report my unemployment if I have not withdrawn anything from my retirement savings. I added all the other necessary details to support my thought that there is nothing else to report in terms of my unemployment, since all my other 'benefit' (401k) is reported in my W2. I understand my questions is very disorganized. I appreciate your answer! 

@coschoi2 wrote:

Thank you for your answer, and sorry for the confusion.

Let me clarify my question: I would like to know if I have to report my unemployment if I have not withdrawn anything from my retirement savings. I added all the other necessary details to support my thought that there is nothing else to report in terms of my unemployment, since all my other 'benefit' (401k) is reported in my W2. I understand my questions is very disorganized. I appreciate your answer! 

If you are asking, "Do I have to report that I lost my job?" or "Do I have to report that I am not currently working?" then the answer is no.  You just list your actual income for the year, whatever it happens to have been. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies