peircedbabyej

Do i file under my spouse name since he has passed away? Should i file joiintly married?

KarenJ

I am sorry for your loss.

If your spouse passed away in 2017, the IRS considers you married for the entire year and you can use the married filing jointly filing status.  In the Personal Information, you need to indicate that your husband passed away and they date that he passed away.

The executor or administrator must sign the return for your spouse. If neither you nor anyone else has been appointed as executor or administrator, you can sign the return for your spouse and enter “Filing as surviving spouse” in the area where you sign the return.

For 2018 and 2019, if you have a dependent on your tax return, you may be able to file as a qualifying widow.