mxholm

Do I file married living separately. .if my spouse and I have not lived together at all in 2016

I bought a house in 2016 without my husband...he does not own propertyif we file jointly does that give him any rights to my home

AmyT

If you were still legally married as of December 31, 2016, you are able to file a joint return or you can do married filing separately.

While you will generally pay lower taxes overall if you file a joint return, you may still wish to file a separate return.  This would particularly apply if you do not want your spouse to know your personal financial details.

Filing a joint return will not give your spouse any rights to the house you purchased separately using your own funds.

AmyT