• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mxholm

Do I file married living separately. .if my spouse and I have not lived together at all in 2016

I bought a house in 2016 without my husband...he does not own propertyif we file jointly does that give him any rights to my home
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyT

Do I file married living separately. .if my spouse and I have not lived together at all in 2016

If you were still legally married as of December 31, 2016, you are able to file a joint return or you can do married filing separately.

While you will generally pay lower taxes overall if you file a joint return, you may still wish to file a separate return.  This would particularly apply if you do not want your spouse to know your personal financial details.

Filing a joint return will not give your spouse any rights to the house you purchased separately using your own funds.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmyT

If you were still legally married as of December 31, 2016, you are able to file a joint return or you can do married filing separately.

While you will generally pay lower taxes overall if you file a joint return, you may still wish to file a separate return.  This would particularly apply if you do not want your spouse to know your personal financial details.

Filing a joint return will not give your spouse any rights to the house you purchased separately using your own funds.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v