turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

oxpark

Do I file for a credit on my state tax return for unemployment received from another state (taxes withheld)?

I lived and worked in Illinois when I lost my job. I filed for unemployment and had taxes withheld for state and federal income tax. I moved to North Carolina a month later and continued to receive unemployment from the state of Illinois for the rest of the year.

Do I need to file for a credit on my North Carolina state return since Illinois withheld state taxes? If so, do I only file for a credit on the amount Illinois taxed me while I lived in North Carolina?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CynthiaR

Do I file for a credit on my state tax return for unemployment received from another state (taxes withheld)?

You would file a part year Illinois resident and part year North Carolina resident tax return.  Be sure to put down the day you moved from Illinois to North Carolina on both state returns.  Illinois will allocate your Illinois wages and unemployment insurance and allocate deductions for the number of months you resided in Illinois.  You would then claim the Illinois taxes withheld to come up with your Illinois refund or balance due.  With North Carolina you would report your North Carolina income and it should allocate the amount of deductions you are entitled to based on the number of months you lived in North Carolina.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
CynthiaR

You would file a part year Illinois resident and part year North Carolina resident tax return.  Be sure to put down the day you moved from Illinois to North Carolina on both state returns.  Illinois will allocate your Illinois wages and unemployment insurance and allocate deductions for the number of months you resided in Illinois.  You would then claim the Illinois taxes withheld to come up with your Illinois refund or balance due.  With North Carolina you would report your North Carolina income and it should allocate the amount of deductions you are entitled to based on the number of months you lived in North Carolina.

oxpark

Great - thank you for the clarification!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies