michaelfig4

Do I check the new child/ dependent box if I am the new dependent?

I have in the past been claimed as a dependent by my parents, however that is no longer the case and was wondering if i use the new child/ dependent option to list that change or if it happens somewhere else.

If you are not being claimed as a dependent and you cannot be claimed as a dependent then you do not check that box.

"new child?"   No.   You are not a new child---not sure where you are seeing that.    Are you trying to say that you CAN be claimed as a dependent or that you cannot be claimed as someone else's dependent?   The rule is if you CAN be claimed then you have to say in My Info that you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.

The question about whether you can be claimed as a dependent appears in My Info.   Do you meet the criteria to be claimed as someone else's qualifying child or qualifying relative?   If do you do, then you say YES to that question.   If you do not fit the criteria to be claimed then you say NO.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/dependents/help/when-do-i-have-to-answer-yes-to-being-claimed-as-a...

So you need to file as an independent this year?  You are not a new dependent.  You just file your own return and under My Info say NO on question #3 can anyone claim you.

Claim Yourself.jpg