turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidentally filed EIC and now my son's father's return has been rejected.

I know that I must wait for my refund to be deposited in my account.  I then plan on mailing an amendment form along with a check for what I owe back to the IRS.  I understand this takes a few months to be processed.  In the meantime, the father plans on mailing his return in.  I understand that he will get his refund.  Will there still be an audit if my amendment is still in the processing stage?  Should he file an extension and wait for my amendment to be completely processed (16 weeks)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

This does not trigger an audit, but it may cause you both to get a letter from the IRS asking for proof of who should claim your son. If you receive this letter simply respond to it and let them know his father should have claimed your son which will speed up the process for your sons' father.

Filing an extension is another option, however, the 16 weeks is an estimate and not a guaranteed time frame.  So it could be longer. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Do both parent live with the child?
If not, which parent did the child live with more than ha;f the year?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

This does not trigger an audit, but it may cause you both to get a letter from the IRS asking for proof of who should claim your son. If you receive this letter simply respond to it and let them know his father should have claimed your son which will speed up the process for your sons' father.

Filing an extension is another option, however, the 16 weeks is an estimate and not a guaranteed time frame.  So it could be longer. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies