turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do Alabama residents pay taxes on nonresident wages from TN? TurboTax is not transferring my wages from the federal return to AL. Also my W-2 state section is blank.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

Do Alabama residents pay taxes on nonresident wages from TN? TurboTax is not transferring my wages from the federal return to AL. Also my W-2 state section is blank.

Yes, Alabama can tax your earnings from TN.  If you're a full-year resident of Alabama, Alabama can tax ALL your income, regardless of where you earned it.  If the state section of your W-2 is blank, that would indicate that your employer did not withhold any Alabama state taxes.  (They would not have withheld TN taxes, because TN does not have an income tax on earnings from work.)

In the My Info section of TT, enter AL as your state of residence, and answer Yes to the questions about earning income in another state.  Enter TN as the other state.  This will result in TT entering your TN earnings on your AL return. 

If you still work for the same employer, I suggest you check with their payroll department to see if they can start withholding Alabama state taxes for you.  If they are unable to do that, you may want to start making quarterly estimated tax payments to Alabama.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies