Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

greg1891

I’m 39 and elected to receive dividends disbursements as cash from company stock in my 401k... are there any tax penalties for this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I’m 39 and elected to receive dividends disbursements as cash from company stock in my 401k... are there any tax penalties for this?

Dividends from company stock in your 401(k) paid to you instead of remaining in the 401(k) are distributions to you from the 401(k) and are taxable as would be any other regular distribution from your 401(k) (code 1 in box 7 of he Form 1099-R), subject to ordinary income tax and an early-distribution penalty unless you have a penalty exception that applies.

If the dividends were instead paid to you from ESOP shares (not shares in your 401(k), code U in box 7 of the Form 1099-R), the dividend distribution paid to you from the ESOP shares would be taxable income but not subject to early-distribution penalty.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

Dividends from company stock in your 401(k) paid to you instead of remaining in the 401(k) are distributions to you from the 401(k) and are taxable as would be any other regular distribution from your 401(k) (code 1 in box 7 of he Form 1099-R), subject to ordinary income tax and an early-distribution penalty unless you have a penalty exception that applies.

If the dividends were instead paid to you from ESOP shares (not shares in your 401(k), code U in box 7 of the Form 1099-R), the dividend distribution paid to you from the ESOP shares would be taxable income but not subject to early-distribution penalty.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies