Mempeng1937

Didn't work all year. Didn't apply for unemployment. Lived off my savings.

So, the title says it.

Can I still file for a tax return?

If so, should I put "Unemployed" in the Occupation field? Note, that I never applied for any benefits, including Unemployment.

DavidD66

If you didn't have any earned income, and didn't have enough unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains) to be required to file, there's no reason to file.  You could file a tax return, but you won't receive a "refund" as you didn't have any income and wouldn't qualify for any tax credits.

Mempeng1937

Thanks, David. But I want to file. I want to know how to do it technically. And to have all the papers ready, just in case.

DavidD66

TurboTax only files forms and schedules that are required to be filed.  Since you are not required to file and not eligible for any credits, you may not be able to e-file a return.  You can print a Form 1040 from the internet and mail it to the IRS.  It will just be blank other than name, address, etc.  

Mempeng1937

Gotcha.

Not sure why 1040's line 9 (Standard deduction or itemized deductions) has $12,200...

There is also Form 104 (state tax return) that needs to be mailed to my state's IRS office (unlike the Form 1040 which is to be mailed to a different, out-of-my-state, IRS office) .

I am wondering if there is a way to send those two forms electronically (instead of mailing them) to the IRS?