Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"My fulltime college student got married in 2016. We want to claim her as a dependent and have them file married jointly (only to receive a refund of tax withheld.) According to what we've researched, this is acceptable. However, when it comes to the ques

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

"My fulltime college student got married in 2016. We want to claim her as a dependent and have them file married jointly (only to receive a refund of tax withheld.) According to what we've researched, this is acceptable. However, when it comes to the ques

In order to claim a married dependent, your child must:

a/ file Married Filing Separately. If she files married filing separately, you can claim her based on the "normal" rules like being a student, providing less than half of her own support etc.

-Or-

b/ file a joint return just to get taxes back, when neither spouse has a filing requirement (this is what the question is asking... if she was to file Separately, would she have taxable income? She would have taxable income, since her income is over the standard deduction of $6300.

$10,000 is too high to meet option "B". A dependent who has earned income of $6300 or more must file a tax return. So, in order to claim your daughter, whose income does require the filing of a tax return, she cannot file a joint return. At $10,000 in income, she is not filing a joint return just to get taxes back- she is required to file a tax return.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Your question got cut off... What problem are you running into? How much income is on the return of your married daughter?

Didn't realize that! Thank you!  Following is my entire question:  "My fulltime college student got married in 2016. We want to claim her as a dependent and have them file married jointly (only to receive a refund of tax withheld.) According to what we've researched, this is acceptable. However, when it comes to the question asking if she and her spouse were to file separately, would either have taxable income, it disqualifies her as being our dependent when I answer yes (she did have 3 jobs and make approx 10,000 but paid in). I believe she will owe some in state but will receive a federal refund Any help or guidance? Thank you!"
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

In order to claim a married dependent, your child must:

a/ file Married Filing Separately. If she files married filing separately, you can claim her based on the "normal" rules like being a student, providing less than half of her own support etc.

-Or-

b/ file a joint return just to get taxes back, when neither spouse has a filing requirement (this is what the question is asking... if she was to file Separately, would she have taxable income? She would have taxable income, since her income is over the standard deduction of $6300.

$10,000 is too high to meet option "B". A dependent who has earned income of $6300 or more must file a tax return. So, in order to claim your daughter, whose income does require the filing of a tax return, she cannot file a joint return. At $10,000 in income, she is not filing a joint return just to get taxes back- she is required to file a tax return.

That is in incredibly helpful and clears it all up for me!  Thank you so much!  I would have never figured that out!
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

no problem- happy to help! (It is kind of confusing, so don't feel bad about that)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies