Confused20

Did I rightly claim my relatives dependents or should I amend ?

Sorry for continuing to ask similar questions. This will be likely my last (hopefully ) ... so did I qualify for the dependent care tax ? I am amending a return for a child care credit but now wondering if I EVEN am allowed to claim the kids. So my sister sent her children to me fir vacation in mid June. Early July myself and the kids returned to their home state for a funeral. A few weeks later I’m guessing becaus I don’t remember the exact time frame it was agreed they would live with me fir the next year. NOW I’m wondering when would they have been considered to live with me ? I know that “

Temporary Time Away from Home

If your child was temporarily away from home, we count that as time lived with you.”” so are they their mothers dependent up until we verbally agreed they would live with me or ? When we returned to their home state in July it was for about 3-4 days tops. Their mother has no objections to me having claimed them but now I wonder if I should amend and not claim them at all ? I was using the June date as them living with me but I guess they WERE technically visiting initially. 

PattiF

From the information that you gave about the children living with you, it appears that they were living with you for over half of the year and you are correct in claiming them. If you sister will not be claiming the children, you can claim them and there is no need to amend the return. Page 3 in the IRS link says that the child must have lived with taxpayer for more than half the year, which is the situation based on your information.

IRS Dependent

PattiF

IRS Dependent