turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kndmrenes

Hi! I did tax return process. I had j1 visa.My tax return form type 1040A but my friend's type 1040EZ. Which one is wrong ? Which one is for J1 Visa?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi! I did tax return process. I had j1 visa.My tax return form type 1040A but my friend's type 1040EZ. Which one is wrong ? Which one is for J1 Visa?

On J1 you are a nonresident alien for the first 2 years (nonstudent) or 5 years (student). As a nonresident alien you need to file form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ plus form 8843. So none of the forms you mention in your post are correct in this situation. Turbotax does not support returns for nonresident aliens

Have a look at publication 519: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-519

View solution in original post

6 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

When did you first enter the US?
oznurakay

kndmrenes

Detroit but after gone cleveland

when did you come to the US? Is it a student or nonstudent visa?
oznurakay

I came 23 june 2017. I was student. Just came for work

On J1 you are a nonresident alien for the first 2 years (nonstudent) or 5 years (student). As a nonresident alien you need to file form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ plus form 8843. So none of the forms you mention in your post are correct in this situation. Turbotax does not support returns for nonresident aliens

Have a look at publication 519: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-519

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies