turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My girlfriend and I live together, are not married, and she has two sons. We both work and support them. I claimed the boys as dependents on my tax return. Is this okay?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My girlfriend and I live together, are not married, and she has two sons. We both work and support them. I claimed the boys as dependents on my tax return. Is this okay?

Depends.  Did they live with you for the ENTIRE year and did you provide MORE than half of their support?  If not, then no you cannot claim them as your dependent since they are not related to you.  If you already filed and are not eligible to claim them, then you would need to Amend Your Return to take them off of it.

If they did live with you the ENTIRE year and you provided MORE than half of their support, then you can claim them.

Please note:  If the Mother is working, then she would need to be the one that claims her children.  If the children can be her qualifying children, then they cannot be a qualifying relative for anyone else. 

(Edited 3/21/19 @ 3:15PM EST)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Also note that you cannot use them to qualify you for Head of Household. You must file as Single.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies