turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dep. Care FSA: Reimbursed in following year

I incurred and paid a $25 qualifying charge to a Care Provider in 2019, but it was not submitted and reimbursed by my FSA until 2020.  

Should my carried-forward FSA balance include this?  If I include it, it ends up trying to give me a credit on unreimbursed $25.  I don't want the credit; I just want the expense to be balanced with the reimbursement.

The IRS instructions say "Don't include amounts you expect to receive at a future date".  So when should this be included?  In 2020, my reimbursed benefits will be $25 more than my expenses incurred for that year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

"Should my carried-forward FSA balance include this ($25 qualifying charge to a Care Provider in 2019)?"

No, do not enter the $25 as a carryover to 2020.

Form 2441 is more focused on when you incurred and paid the expense, not when the expense was reimbursed. You incurred and paid the $25 in 2019; it just so happens that the FSA didn’t reimburse you until 2020.

You were correct to notice the statement ""Don't include amounts you expect to receive at a future date"." The $25 was paid in 2019 but will be reimbursed in early 2020. 

Yes, your FSA will report to the IRS in 2020 that they reimbursed you $5,050; however, you are following the IRS's instructions, so the disparity between what you show in box 10 on your 2020 W-2 and the amount the FSA reimbursed you is a problem that they will figure out. Your 2441 and tax return will be correct which is what’s important.

Next year, do not enter the $25 as a carryover from 2019 that you used in 2020. Remember that the 2441 cares more about when the expense was paid, not reimbursed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

"Should my carried-forward FSA balance include this ($25 qualifying charge to a Care Provider in 2019)?"

No, do not enter the $25 as a carryover to 2020.

Form 2441 is more focused on when you incurred and paid the expense, not when the expense was reimbursed. You incurred and paid the $25 in 2019; it just so happens that the FSA didn’t reimburse you until 2020.

You were correct to notice the statement ""Don't include amounts you expect to receive at a future date"." The $25 was paid in 2019 but will be reimbursed in early 2020. 

Yes, your FSA will report to the IRS in 2020 that they reimbursed you $5,050; however, you are following the IRS's instructions, so the disparity between what you show in box 10 on your 2020 W-2 and the amount the FSA reimbursed you is a problem that they will figure out. Your 2441 and tax return will be correct which is what’s important.

Next year, do not enter the $25 as a carryover from 2019 that you used in 2020. Remember that the 2441 cares more about when the expense was paid, not reimbursed.

Makes perfect sense, thanks!

BillM223
Expert Alumni

You're welcome!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies